Saturday, February 21, 2015

Bite-Sized Community

       Today has been full of people. Full of strangers with quirky wisdom and full of friends with stories to share. As much as I dislike chaos, there are few ways I'd rather spend a Saturday morning that sitting at a cramped table at Succotash, chatting, observing the collection of characters buzzing about with steaming coffee and heaping plates. These moments remind me that other people exist. Actually exist. They're not mere obstacles in my life, obligatory conversations to be had when I order or small-talk generators when I stand in line. They have lives much like mine with hopes and fears and families and struggles. I'm saddened that I need this reminder. Of course, I know people are people, but I fall into a rhythm of disregarding their souls and hurting hearts. I'm not rude, but I simply forget that people have the power to impact me and I them. Thankfully, God uses many methods to remind me of this truth.
     
       While waiting on my nails to dry at the salon, I sat across from a woman who immediately began relating her whirlwind wedding story. She planned a wedding in three weeks, bought a dress for $300, and held the ceremony outside in the middle of December. "All girls should get married between Thanksgiving and Christmas because everything is on sale," she instructed me. I nodded in agreement, knowing I would imitate none of these practices if were to plan a wedding. But before I completely disregarded her story, Jesus gently reminded me that this was her life, her most special story, and she wanted to share a bit of it with me. I suddenly realized I should be honored to hear what she had to say. I tell stories so others can participate in my life. She was doing the same. To experience others' excitements and sorrows, even if seemingly inconsequential, should be a joy. How often do I view it as a bother?
    
       Though my salon experience was far from life-altering, it's those kinds of proddings that make me thankful we have a personal God who made us personal beings. He draws us to Himself and puts people in our lives to which we can draw near. How disrespectful of His design is it for me always to wish people would leave me alone? God created us for togetherness with Him and one another, and I selfishly prefer silence and solitude much of the time. Small encounters with strangers are gifts for me to enjoy and learn from. Through others I learn more about God and His children, His care for them and His creativity in their design. God is a good and patient teacher, and I'm thankful He uses Saturdays for such sweet lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment